Organization Mission and Vision
The Young Nonprofit Professionals Network of Washington, DC (YNPNdc) activates young nonprofit professionals and champions their needs to strengthen the Greater Washington nonprofit community. We are a community of forward-thinking and inspired nonprofit professionals who are effecting change.
YNPNdc is an independent 501(c)(3) organization, affiliated with the Young Nonprofit Professionals Network (YNPN), which serves more than 50,000 members and includes chapters in more than 40 cities.
The Director of Communications is responsible for overseeing YNPNdc’s overall communications strategy and leads a talented team of volunteers that comprise the Communications Committee. This position is a member of the Board of Directors for YNPNdc, and as such, entails working collaboratively with the full Board to ensure the success of the organization.
- Serves as Chair of the Communications Committee, which entails providing guidance, mentorship, orientation, and support to the volunteers that currently serve on the committee and each manage separate areas of responsibilities for creating and disseminating communications.
- Ensures all of YNPNdc’s communications are grounded in a foundation of equity and inclusion.
- Provides communications expertise and recommendations to the Board as needed for ongoing and ad hoc programming, including fundraising and development.
- Ensures the Communications Committee is fully informed of Board updates and advocates for the needs of committee volunteers.
- Troubleshoots and proposes solutions to any challenges that may arise in communications processes.
- Critically analyzes communications processes (including recruitment of committee members, decisions on which events/partners are promoted, etc.) with a social justice lens.
- Works collaboratively with the Chair(s) of the Governance, Programs, and Fundraising and Development Committees as well as with any ad hoc committees that may form.
- Oversees YNPNdc’s brand and content creation and proposes strategies for enhancing YNPNdc’s communications overall.
- Serves as a backup to volunteer responsibilities, including but not limited to: social media management, website management and maintenance, and content creation for email communications.
- Manages and delegates time-sensitive communications-related requests, such as drafting of relevant statements or changing details for events.
- Passion for YNPNdc’s mission and vision.
- Expertise in nonprofit communications and processes with a social justice lens.
- Experience leading and managing a team.
- Experience working collaboratively across multiple teams.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Strong ability to focus, listen deeply, and create space for open conversation and learning.
- Commitment to personal and professional growth.
- Ability to dedicate time to the position and organization (10-15 hours per month).
- Knowledge of CRM and software programs such as NationBuilder, WordPress, and AirTable
Interested in this position? Apply here.